Dr. Stuart Hameroff explains consciousness a Quantum Mechanics effect in the brain’s microtubules.
Dr. Stuart Hameroff hooked up with Dr. Roger Penrose to formulate their interpretation as to how consciousness is made in the human brain. Their idea is that the number of calculations that go into making a decision requires a larger number than the total number of neurons in the brain. They claim to have located where a Quantum Mechanical Super Position effect may occur within the brain. This would allow for the large number of calculations necessary to make decisions. This Quantum Mechanical Super Position effect would occur in within the microtubules in the cell structure.
This interpretation seems to still be in the realm of materialism. The description of consciousness is described as an effect of Quantum Mechanics and not pointing to Quantum Mechanics and the experience of consciousness as the same thing, (my thoughts).
However, it certainly holds promise for describing the mechanics of how the experience of consciousness works through the brain. Definitely worth watching!
~Comments always welcome…
- Stuart Hameroff – Does Consciousness Cause the Cosmos?
- Could Quantum Brain Effects Explain Consciousness? – LiveScience.com
- Stuart Hameroff and Jonathan Powell: The Conscious Connection
- CONSCIOUSNESS: A conversation with Deepak Chopra and Stuart Hameroff
- Justin Mayfield (YouTube Channel)